The Book Makers is a volunteer-run community pop-up bookshop, writing space, and event space where established authors will support great writing from diverse new voices. It’s in the heart of Brighton on Cranbourne Street, less than a 10-minute walk from the station.
Creative Future is partnering with local author William Shaw, independent bookshop Goldsboro Books, along with lots of writers including Paul Burston, Vaseem Khan, Sharon Duggal, Kate Harrison, Elly Griffiths, and Mick Finlay. Each of the established writers who have signed up for The Book Makers will be offering mentoring to an emerging, underrepresented writer. We have confirmed our first group of mentees, but there will be further opportunities in the future. If you are interested in taking up a mentoring place please email [email protected].
We are also looking for a small group of volunteers to help run the bookshop, which will sell work on writing, titles published by authors associated with the project, and books published by Creative Future.
The Book Makers will be open from 14 July 2021 and run until the end of December 2021. Shop opening hours are Wednesday – Saturday 10 am – 5 pm. Volunteers would need to commit to at least a half-day per week. We are particularly looking for Saturday volunteers.
The volunteer time slots are:
• AM session is 9.45 am – 1.45 pm
• PM session is 1.30 pm – 5.30 pm
Each volunteer will always be working with a member of the core team and will receive training where required.
WHAT THIS ROLE CAN OFFER THE VOLUNTEER
- Opportunity to utilise and develop your portfolio of skills and experience
- Deepen your knowledge about books, authors & the publishing industry
- Gain valuable experience in retail
Depending on the needs of the shop on the day and your interests, you will be involved in the following:
- Welcoming people to the shop and helping them understand the story of the project
- Promoting any upcoming opportunities e.g. events, readings, and workshops
- Helping create and maintain attractive displays across the shop
- Providing customer service on the shop floor
- Operating the point of sales system
- Helping keep the shop clean & tidy
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
It is essential that you:
- Are committed to The Book Makers values of inclusiveness
- Have the ability to work within The Book Makers policies and shop guidelines
You do not need specific skills and experience but the following will be useful:
- Enthusiasm for reading
- Knowledge of books & authors
- Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative
If you are interested in volunteering with us please contact our Project Coordinator Elsa via [email protected] and tell us why you’re interested in the position.